2012 NFL Draft: Patriots and 49ers

I'm going to pick players based on who I think the team will pick and I won't try to predict trades. I'll look back after the draft and check my accuracy.

Patriots

27: Harrison Smith, Safety, Notre Dame

Although Mark Barron is clearly the best safety in the draft, Smith isn't far behind and looks to be a pretty safe pick. Smith compliments Patrick Chung well with his coverage skills and is known to be a very smart player. Although the Patriots need pass rushers just as badly as safety, there seems to be far more pass rushing depth than there is safety depth.

31. Shea McClellin, Outside Linebacker, Boise State

McClellin is drawing many comparisons to old Pats favorites Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi. McClellin does a good job of setting the edge and has good versatility, as he should be able to play both 4-3 and 3-4 in the NFL. Although his ceiling may not be as high as players such as Nick Perry of USC or Whitney Mercilus of Illinois, he's far more polished than them and should be able to step in as a starter from day one.

49ers

30. Coby Fleener, Tight End, Stanford

I see this team looking to boost their offensive weapons as well as the guard position during the draft. General consensus is that there is only one first round rated guard, so I see them drafting an offensive weapon. I know fans want a receiver, but Smith isn't exactly very accurate down field. Look for them to give Alex Smith a Gronkowski-Hernandez type threat with Fleener teaming up with Vernon Davis.

*Note: If I were the Niners, I would try to get Weeden (QB). I know Weeden is in his late 20s, but he could solidify the quarterback position for six to eight years. Does Alex Smith even come close to maximizing Moss and Manningham?

By Arjun Parikh  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog